While it’s stressful not knowing where your license is (or maybe you know exactly where it is, but are unable to get it back), it’s not the end of the world. In fact, in the state of Florida, replacing your lost license is actually a fairly straightforward process. Here’s what you need to do.
Apply for a Replacement
There are two ways to do this: you can apply for a replacement Florida license online, or in person. To get a new Florida driver license or ID card in person, visit the nearest driver license office and apply for a replacement. In order to do this, you will need to make sure you have documents that prove both your identity and your residence. But which documents should you bring? If you’re a U.S. citizen, typically you will need to take the following documents.
Proof of Identity
You will need an original or certified copy of one of these documents:
- U.S. birth certificate
- Valid U.S. passport or passport card
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Proof of Social Security Number
For this requirement, you will need an original of one of the below documents that shows both your full name and your Social Security number:
- Social Security card
- W-2 form (may not be handwritten)
- Any 1099 that is not handwritten Scannable Ids Maryland Fake Buy Id - Make Premium We
Proof of Residential Address
To prove your residential address, you will need two different documents from the below list that display your residential address:
- Florida voter registration card
- Florida vehicle registration or title
- Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet, or residential rental/lease agreement
- Two documents showing proof from your parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom you reside, along with a Photo-identify Arno Photo-identify Arno Id Id Card Card from one of these individuals.
- Florida boat registration or title (if you live on a boat/houseboat)
- Automobile payment booklet
- Selective Service card
- Medical or health card with your address listed
- W-2 or 1099 form
- Current car insurance policy or bill
Once you’ve gathered the proper documents, you can head down to the driver license office and apply for your license replacement. You will be required to pay a replacement fee, but this fee is waived if your license was stolen and you have filed a police report. Just be sure you bring a copy of the police report when you go to apply for a replacement.
What If I’m Out of State?
If you are out of state temporarily and need a replacement license to be mailed to you, you can order one online or by mail. You will be required to request an address change to your current out-of-state address. When you get back to Florida, change the address back to your regular Florida address.
You can also request a 90-day temporary permit if you are out of state and wish to wait until you get back to Florida to get a replacement license. Requests can be made in any of the following ways:
- By phone—just call (850) 617-2000
- By email
- By writing to:
Bureau of Records
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 92
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0575
No matter which method you choose, you will need to provide your full name, your date of birth, your Social Security number, your out-of-state address, and your Florida driver license number. You will not need to pay a fee for the permit. Simply go to the driver license office when you get back to Florida to be issued your replacement driver license.
There are different requirements for certain circumstances. For example, if you are an immigrant, you will need to apply in person at a driver license office (you will not be able to apply any other way). You will pay a $25 fee, and you are required to provide proof of legal presence. Please note that the fee will be waived if you filed a police report for a stolen license—just bring a copy of the police report with you to the driver license office.
Members of the military who are stationed outside of Florida can apply for a replacement license either online or by mail. You will have a 90-day temporary permit mailed out to you in addition to replacement license instructions.
And there you have it! Go ahead and get a replacement license today.